Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Support



All writers need support. We find it in many different ways. Whether it comes from family or coworkers, maybe friends online, even from your cat, every writer needs support. The communities online are hugely beneficial. We all understand the highs and lows of writing. We have our own jokes, hates, likes and frustrations. I belong to several pages online that have been built up properly to support and not tear down.
But somehow all of that love can break apart when the few people we want support from don't give it. 

I understand some of our novels won't please everyone. I don't write erotica but I'm sure getting love from those author's parents might be a bit of a struggle, but that's not the point. Just because you don't agree with what's in the book doesn't mean you should withdraw support. It's like not going to your son's wedding just because you hate the bride.

I know there are plenty of family members that do this which is a shame. But then again maybe it's not too bad. The way we were raised has a lot to do with why we write the things we write. And although our books may not be tell-alls, there is always truth in fiction.

Personal experience is the basis of all real literature --  George Henry Lewis

After all this, what we really need is one. One person to draw from. One person to push us to finish the book. One friend to remind us of why we started writing in the first place.

That one person is my husband. He's my best friend and my confidant. He's supported me when everyone else told me to quit. He's taken on extra work to support the family so I could stay at home and follow my dreams.

Who is it for you? Please leave a comment and a little 'thank you' for them, even if it is your cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback so take time to just say HI!